Bay, Strangford Lough|
Series No. 21|
- Sitting in an upright position and exposed
at all stages of the tide.
is deteriorating, and liable to collapse - be warned.
of "Dead man's fingers" and sponges at stern of wreck.
a garden, full of colour. Always fish around.
Water is best, high or low tide.
can be launched from either Strangford or Portaferry.
can be tied to wreck.
- A notice has been issued warning of the wrecks
rapid deterioration and care is needed when diving the site.
called the "Carso", and built in 1923 originally as an Italian
ship, she was captured by the Allies in 1943.
by Stabilmento of Trieste, she grossed 6,148 tons and measured 406 x 54 x 33ft.
was used in the D-Day landings as part of the Gooseberry Breakwater on "Sword"
- After the war
she was purchased by the breakers yard John Lee operating from Ballyhenry
- The idea was to beach her at high
tide, but the current caught her and she struck a rock and sank, later to break
in two. The forward section was later cut away and scrapped.
depth charge was found aboard in 1996 and disposed of by the Royal Navy.
Recorder article - 11/09/85
Stokes & Liam Dowling|
Index of Ireland"
& Bridget Larn|
|Lloyd's Register -
Fairplay Ltd 2002 - ISBN: 1900839970|
of the Irish Coast 932 1997"
J. Bourke 1998 - ISBN:
Ireland Guide to Irish Dive Sites"
1999 - ISBN: 0948283025|
update - 02-Dec-2005