Series No. 5|
- see below
wreckage lies about 300m North of Bruce's Castle.
boiler can be seen just under the surface.
boiler and broken plating are still there.
portholes have been recovered by divers.
is usually good.
to strong ebb tide (about 5 knots).
on flood tide.
is a fee to use the slip at Ballycastle Harbour.
by Cochrane & Sons, Ltd of Selby in 1916, she measured 130.2 x 23.4 x 13.5ft.,
and grossed 289 tons. Her official number was 139207.
completion she went immediately into service as a Royal Navy minesweeper before
being handed over to her owners, J. Marr & Co. Ltd., in 1919.
Fleetwood for the fishing grounds on the West of Ireland, she ran onto a reef
while in dense fog, to the North of Bruce's Castle.
crew managed to row ashore in the ship's lifeboat.
unsuccessful attempt to refloat her was made by a salvage company, but she was
too badly holed.
was removed by the islanders, including the life-boat which was used locally for
by kind permission of www.fleetwood-trawlers.connectfree.co.uk
Index of Ireland"
& Bridget Larn|
Register - Fairplay Ltd 2002 - ISBN: 1900839970|
of the Irish Coast 932 - 1997"
J. Bourke |
J. Bourke 1998 - ISBN:
Harsh Winds of Rathlin"
Impact Printing 1990 - ISBN:
|Castlereagh SAC (1995)|
update - 25-Oct-2005