Series No. 15|
at Wilson's Point.
much left. Steel plates and pipes etc. can be seen wedged in the rocks and gullies.
rocky bottom leveling out onto sand.
is via the path on the Point.
pioneer motor-ship of 4,774 tons, she had been built as the "Oregon",
at Copenhagen in 1916, by Akt. Burmeister & Wain, for Det. Forenede Dampskibs.
407.8 x 54.2 x 33.4ft., she was powered by two 4SCA six cylinder B&W oil engines,
by Shipbuilder, generating 622nhp.
May 1940, taken over by Ministry of Shipping and placed under the management of
Stephens, Sutton Ltd.
a passage from Newport to Halifax N.S., she was waiting to join a convoy in Belfast
Lough, when she dragged her anchors and foundered on Wilsons Point, Bangor.
of it was beached for scrapping. Large chunks can still be seen wedged in the
rocks. Screw later removed by Karl Bialowas.
of Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam 1824 - 1962"
London Stamp Exchange 1989 - ISBN: 0948130474|
Stokes & Liam Dowling|
Index of Ireland"
& Bridget Larn|
Register - Fairplay Ltd 2002 - ISBN: 1900839970|
of the Ulster Coast"
Printing 1997 - ISBN: 0948154993|
World Ship Society|
update - 20-Jan-2010